I received the following questions through email:
Assalamualaikum teacher. May I know how to put the idioms in my essay and made my essay more interesting though I use the simple simple sentence. I also want to know how to get more marks in essay.
Salam.With regards to using idioms in essays, first, you have to identify suitable idioms for the essays.You may visit the following websites and choose the appropriate idioms for the appropriate situations:
- http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/cat/Or you may simply google: "idioms themes"Let's take the example of the previous essay that you wrote - 'A Visit to the Zoo'The example of idioms that can be used are:
- hit the road - When you hit the road, you begin a journey.
- We hit the road at 9.00 a.m.
- with bells on - If you go somewhere with bells on, you are delighted and eager to go there.
- We went to the zoo with bells on.
- reach for the moon - If you reach for the moon, you are very ambitious and try to achieve something even if it is difficult.
- In the drawing competition, everyone reached for the moon.
Hope I've helped.
- had a whale of a time - to have an exciting or fun time
- We had a whale of a time at the zoo.
- kill two birds with one stone - If you kill two birds with one stone, you succeed in doing two things at the same time.
- We managed to learn two main things in this trip. Firstly, we learnt about the different types wild animals kept in the zoo. Secondly, we learnt how these animals are conserved. It was like killing two birds with one stone.