I've tried a few techniques to get my students to read Step by Wicked Step:
- Get students to read alone and silently in class. They doze off easily.
- I read to them. They like it but it hurts my throat.
- Get students in groups. Carry out the 'Reading Circle' activity.
Reading Circle using Step by Wicked Step
- In this activity, each member of the group take turns to read aloud each line/paragraph.
- I normally ask students to read 5 of less pages per lesson.
- Based on my observations, students are more relaxed in this activity.
- I encourage them to act out certain dialogues by changing their voices.
- They do not feel intimidated when reading with their peers in small groups. Their peers could help them in understanding what they read.
- The exciting part - I've never seen any students doze off in this activity :)
- After reading, give them the related exercises. To download the exercises, click at the respective links: Chapter 1, Chapter 2
- After completing the exercises, give the answer key to each group.
- Students mark their own work in groups.
- Teacher acts as a facilitator.
Reading Circle in action (with 5 Imtiaz)