2. The format:
Click on the above picture to enlarge.
3. The language used is simple and friendly.
- You can use contractions such as can’t, I’m, won’t, you’re and so on.
- For examination, do not use slang like, “Hey, Wassup.” , “gonna” , “kinda”, “wanna”
4. The format of writing an informal letter is explained in the following table:
· The writer’s address is written at the top right-hand corner
· For example:
25, Jalan Tebing 8/8,
40000 Shah Alam,
Selangor Darul Ehsan.
· Written below the address.
For example: 6 June 2011
· Written on the left-hand side of the letter.
For example: Dear Amin, Dear Latifah,
Ø Dearest…….., or My dear…., (for close friends & family)
For example: Dearest father, My dear Uncle Syed, Dearest Siti,
You may begin your letter by:
· Asking about the person’s health. For example:
Ø How are you? I hope that you’re in the pink.
Ø How’s your family getting on?
Ø I’m fine and I hope you’re fine too.
Ø I hope that you’re as fit as a fiddle.
· Asking what the reader had been up to?
Ø How’s the weather at your place? Not too hot I hope.
Ø Did you get to visit your grandparents?
Ø Did you go on your trip to Paris as you had hoped? They say Paris is a beautiful city.
· Expressing happiness: For example:
Ø I received your letter on…
Ø I’m happy to receive your letter…
Ø Thank you for your letter which I received…..
Ø I’m so glad to hear…..
Ø I’m glad to learn that….
· Expressing sorrow:
Ø I’m sorry to hear that…..
· Expressing apology:
Ø I’d like to say sorry for…
Ø I’m sorry for not writing….
· In the 2nd paragraph, mention your main reason for writing the letter. You may use the following phrase:
Ø In your last letter, you wanted me to describe / advice…..
Ø I’m writing this letter to….
Inform the reader that you are ending the letter. You may use the following phrases:
Ø I’ll write again soon.
Ø Do write to me soon.
Ø Well, that’s about all for now.
Ø Please give/send my regards to…
Ø Please convey my warm regards to….
Ø Let me pen off here.
Ø Take care of yourself.
Ø Hope to hear from you soon.
Ø I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Ø Hope to receive a reply from you.
Ø Bye / Goodbye.
If you are writing to your parents, you can sign off using:
Ø Your loving daughter,
Ø Yours lovingly,
Ø Yours affectionately
If you are writing to friends or relatives, you can sign off using:
Ø Your friend,
Ø Yours sincerely,
Ø Your niece / nephew,
Sign your name at the bottom of the letter in the right-hand corner.
Download this topic by clicking at this link : Guidelines - Writing an Informal Letter