Saturday, August 27, 2011

Guidelines to write an informal letter

1. Informal letters are written to friends & relatives.
2. The format:

Click on the above picture to enlarge.

3.  The language used is simple and friendly.
  • You can use contractions such as can’t, I’m, won’t, you’re and so on.
  • For examination, do not use slang like, “Hey, Wassup.” , “gonna” , “kinda”, “wanna”

4. The format of writing an informal letter is explained in the following table:

Format
Explanation
Address
·        The writer’s address is written at the top right-hand corner
·        For example:
25, Jalan Tebing 8/8,
Seksyen 8,
40000 Shah Alam,
Selangor Darul Ehsan.

Date
·        Written below the address.
For example: 6 June 2011

Greeting
·        Written on the left-hand side of the letter.
Begin with:
Ø  Dear........,
For example: Dear Amin, Dear Latifah,

Ø  Dearest…….., or My dear…., (for close friends & family)
For example: Dearest father, My dear Uncle Syed, Dearest Siti,

Opening
(1st paragraph)
You may begin your letter by:
·        Asking about the person’s health. For example:
Ø  How are you? I hope that you’re in the pink.
Ø  How’s your family getting on?
Ø  I’m fine and I hope you’re fine too.
Ø  I hope that you’re as fit as a fiddle.

·        Asking what the reader had been up to?
Ø  How’s the weather at your place?  Not too hot I hope.  
Ø  Did you get to visit your grandparents? 
Ø  Did you go on your trip to Paris as you had hoped?  They say Paris is a beautiful city.

·        Expressing happiness: For example:
Ø  I received your letter on…
Ø  I’m happy to receive your letter…
Ø  Thank you for your letter which I received…..
Ø  I’m so glad to hear…..
Ø  I’m glad to learn that….

·        Expressing sorrow:
Ø  I’m sorry to hear that…..

·        Expressing apology:
Ø  I’d like to say sorry for…
Ø  I’m sorry for not writing….

Content
(Several paragraphs)
·        In the 2nd paragraph, mention your main reason for writing the letter. You may use the following phrase:
Ø  In your last letter, you wanted me to describe / advice…..
Ø  I’m writing this letter to….

Closing
(Last paragraph)
Inform the reader that you are ending the letter. You may use the following phrases:
Ø  I’ll write again soon.
Ø  Do write to me soon.
Ø  Well, that’s about all for now.
Ø  Please give/send my regards to…
Ø  Please convey my warm regards to….
Ø  Let me pen off here.
Ø  Take care of yourself.
Ø  Hope to hear from you soon.
Ø  I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Ø  Hope to receive a reply from you.
Ø  Bye / Goodbye.

Signing off
If you are writing to your parents, you can sign off using:
Ø  Your loving daughter,
Ø  Yours lovingly,
Ø  Yours affectionately

If you are writing to friends or relatives, you can sign off using:
Ø  Your friend,
Ø  Yours sincerely,
Ø  Your niece / nephew,
Signature
Sign your name at the bottom of the letter in the right-hand corner.
For example:
Nuurunnuha


Download this topic by clicking at this link : Guidelines - Writing an Informal Letter

21 comments :

Anonymous said...

Would like to know whether the current format of informal letter got some changes?

the writer's address is written in top left-hand corner & the date as well. Signature also at the left hand side? Thanks.

Teacher Nuha said...

Dear Anonymous, thanks for asking. As far as I'm concerned, there are no changes to the informal letter format. However, I'll double-check :)

Teacher Nuha said...

Quoting from Pn Rahmah Sayuti (www.engoasis.blogspot.com):

"different countries have got a different style of writing an informal letter. it's rather difficult to say which is standard but for educational purposes, the textbooks will be our source of reference. to my knowledge, for school purposes, there hasn't been any change."

Anonymous said...

Thanks Teacher Nuha for your reply that somehow clear my doubt about that. Just that some Form 3 students were taught by their school's teacher that informal letter got that new format. I really hope there will be a formal announcement by the JPN if there are such changes. If it's not, it will cause confusion to students. Thanks again Teacher Nuha.

Teacher Nuha said...

My pleasure. If there are any changes to the format, I'll update on my blog :)

COMMUNITY AFFAIRS said...

NICE ONE..

Teacher Nuha said...

Thanks COMMUNITY AFFAIRS.

Miss Dee said...

Hi Nuha, great blog you have here. Very useful and I can see that you have put in a lot of time and effort to make this blog informative. Kudos for such an excellent work! Just a gentle reminder though -'Yours faithfully' is never used in informal letters, only formal. Instead, you could use 'Yours sincerely' in place of 'Yours faithfully'. Other than that, you've got an amazing site here! Well done!

Teacher Nuha said...

Hi Miss Dee,
First of all, thanks for the flattering comments which motivate me to keep on posting on my blog. Secondly, thanks for highlighting the "Yours faithfully" part.. will take it out from the post a.s.a.p. It's great to meet an English teacher & share our views :)

Anonymous said...

Teacher Nuha , for summary , how if i did not use my own words ? I mean like copying the whole text , will my marks deducted ? And if i use my own words means that i can score higher ??

Teacher Nuha said...

Dear Anonymous,

If you selectively copy the points from the text, no marks will be deducted. I always encourage my students to copy the points exactly from the text to avoid spelling or sentence errors. Use the correct sequence connectors like next, then, moreover, etc to get at least 3 marks for your language. If you want to use your own words, make sure the meaning of the sentence does not change from the original sentence.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cikgu Nuha. Awesome blog! I would like to double check if contractions are really allowed in informal letters? To my knowledge, for Malaysian exams, contractions are not allowed.

Thank you for your time.

Julia Robert said...

Thanks for sharing this nice post. Before writing letter to any one, you should understand the format of Formal and Informal Letters in English.

Teacher Nuha said...

Dear Anonymous February 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM , thanks for your comment. Contractions are allowed only in informal letters & dialogues.

Dear Julia Robert, thanks for sharing the link to your blog.

Luqman said...

Dear Teacher Nuha, can you give me advices on how to improve my writing for PMR? Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Great work done right up there!!!

Chong Eric said...

I really think i can get A,thanks to your help :) great work and thanks again

Anonymous said...

hi, i would like to know if we need to write our name in bracket after signing? thank you so much.

Teacher Nuha said...

Hi, there is no need to write our name in brackets after signing.

Anonymous said...

can u not? I love your blog so much. I'm 16 years old. Well i think my english is damn weak. Would u like to be my tutor? I would love to hear if you wanted to :)

Teacher Nuha said...

Dear Anonymous 12:02, if you need help for English, you may pose your questions here or email them to nuhazyun@yahoo.com

Post a Comment

 
;