I would like to share the following tips which were gained from a course organised by the Education Department of Sepang District (PPD Sepang) which was held months ago. You could also click on the previous post: How to answer PMR Paper 2 - Section C to learn more tips on PMR Literature.
Literature tips - Use the IMEJ method
I - Identify what the question wants
M - Make a statement
E - Elaborate on the answers
J - Justify the elaboration by giving textual evidence from the novel
Framework of the answer
- Evidence 1+ Detail
- Evidence 2 + Detail
- Evidence 3 + Detail
- Conclusion (Compulsory)
Sample Question - An incident that changed the life of a character
- The character - Dr Jekyll
- Incident - He discovers a new drug
- An incident/event that changes the life of Dr Jekyll is when he discovers a new drug.
- Answer the question
- Where, When, What happened
- Answer the question why do you say so using the evidence from the text.
I like to choose Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It is a horror story. This story shows the good and evil side of a man. Dr Jekyll makes a new drug. He makes the drug in the lab. It makes him to have a double life as good Dr Jekyll and cruel Mr. Hyde. Mr. Hyde is cruel, he tramples a little girl. He also kills Sir Danvers Carew. Then he hides in the lab.
- Teach them short answers based on the topics – character, themes, events, etc.
- Ask them to answer within 40 to 50 words only.
- Ask them to memorize sample answer.
- Prepare ONE sample answer that can answer multiple question and ask the lazy students to memorize.
- It helps them to get at least minimum marks - E2.
You may view the PowerPoint slides for this topic by clicking at this link:
(Credits to: PPD Sepang)